Monday, September 04, 2006

24 months

Dear Ivy,
Yesterday you turned two. I was at Walmart doing a little shopping while you napped and the was a little girl in line behind me. I struck up a conversation with her mother, asking how old she was. I learned she was eighteen months and I responded that I have a little girl at home that turns two today. The lady came back with a comment that caught me off guard. She said I was pretty calm to be having my baby turn two. I was calm. It was nowhere near as dramatic for me as your last birthday. Maybe that's because every day with you is such a joy and an adventure that your birthday became just another day. Is that a bad thing? I don't think so. I think it just means that every day is special to me and I cherish it. I don't need it to be a birthday to realize how lucky I am and how special you are.

I don't know how it's possible, but I think toddlers must know when they turn two. It was like a switch flipped and you went into terrible two mode today. Hopefully it was just an anomily and won't be an every day occurence. You are usually so fun. You repeat everything we say, so you've helped me clean up my language. You always have so much to sayand are, at times, really bossy. "Play, mommy." "Mommy. Sit. Couch." You have always known exactly what you want and expect everyone to accomadate that. That hasn't changed. At times it's frustrating and downright annoying to not be able to do what -I- want, but I really can't complain. I have a beautiful little girl who wants me with her. It can't get better than that.

You still love to read stories. You are so smart! I know I am biased, but you really do seem advanced. You know all your colors, can count to somewhere in the teens, recognize the numbers 1-9, can say the alphabet and even recognize some letters. I should send a thank you note to Playhouse Disney and Nick Jr.

I have never been as happy as I am being able to stay home with you. It was the best decision I've made. Sometimes I miss interacting with adults, but the happiness you bring to me outweighs that ten fold. I can't wait to keep helping you grow and learn. I love you baby girl.

Love
Mama

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I googled my own name and came across your blog. I find it really odd that your daughter and I have the same name. So is Lynn her middle name or is Ivy Lynn her first name? My first name is Ivy and my middle name is Lynn. Such a unique name isn't it?