Friday, August 19, 2005


Ivy had her tubes put in today by Dr. VanderMeer. You have to love any doctor that says "crap" when describing what may come out of your daughter's ears. Anyway, we arrived at 6:55, ten minutes late (did you really expect anything different from me?) I filled out some paperwork and we got called back. A nurse took all of Ivy's vitals and gave us a cute little hospital gown to put her in. There were quite a few other babies there getting tubes, too. A doctor from anesthesia came to talk to us and told us they would put Ivy to sleep using a mask and as soon as the surgery was over, they would stop giving her the gas and as it left her system she would wake up. Then Dr. VanderMeer talked to us. He asked if there were any problems he should know about, like if she had a cough or anything. I said "Well, she has another ear infection," and he replied "Well, I can fix that." Funny man. At 7:45, right on schedule, a nurse came and took Ivy. Nathan and I went to the waiting room and I read maybe three pages of a magazine before they told us she was awake and we could come back. Ten minutes, tops, to put her to sleep, do the surgery and have her awake. Dr. VanderMeer talked to us once more and gave us a prescription for ear drops. We went back to see Ivy and she was so upset. Screaming, screaming, screaming. I held her, but it didn't help. Nathan tried, too. The nurse brought us a sippy cup of apple juice for her, thinking she was probably hungry (and as neglectful parents, we forgot a bottle!!) The juice helped for a second, but not long. They moved us to the other side of the recovery room so we didn't disturb the older people who had had surgery. They had all the kids on one side of the room. Anyway, once Ivy got her binky, she was good to go. We were home by 9am. Overall, she had a little bit of a fussy day, but nothing major at all.... it was probably just because she had to wake up at 6:15. Hopefully my little honeybear will be infection free now.

No comments: